Ah, helmets, one of the most controversial pieces of skateboarding protection around.
We’ll get to why helmets are so controversial in a moment but if you are a beginner, don’t let the fact that helmets are controversial put you off wearing one.
If you think you’d be safer and think you need to protect your head while riding your board, get a helmet.
Below, we have a list of all the best skateboard helmets around, but let’s take a look at a few other things about helmets before we get to the list.Invalid table id.
Why are skateboard helmets controversial?
Helmets are controversial is the world of skateboarding simply because they aren’t cool.
A lot of skateboarders think that it is uncool to wear a helmet while skating.
Very talented skateboarders like Josh Katz who wears a helmet every time he skates, gets a lot of negative comments on his YouTube channel because he wears a helmet. This is a sad fact in skateboarding.
Skateboarding is a place for everyone. No matter your sex, race, sexual orientation or anything else the rest of the world judges, you’ll find a place in the skate world and be welcomed with open arms, unless you wear a helmet.
As we said though, do not let skaters that think helmets aren’t cool put you off wearing one.
Wearing a helmet while skating is a choice, and it is your choice to make. Scott, one of our writers and the person writing this article, has never worn a helmet while skating and has been very lucky that he hasn’t regretted that choice.
However, as we said, if you think that you’ll be safer wearing a helmet and that you’ll feel more comfortable on your board if you wear a helmet, do it and don’t worry about what the haters say.
Why do you need a skateboard helmet?
There’s no secret as to why you should wear a helmet while skating. Skateboarding is dangerous, and you can hit your head while skateboarding. So, wearing a properly designed skateboard helmet can protect your head and save you from a life-changing injury.
As I said above, I don’t wear a helmet while I skate and I have been extremely lucky that I have never had an injury because of this choice. However, I have seen the effects of hitting your head without wearing a helmet. A number of years ago, I witnessed my friend hit his head on a drain cover. He ollied some stairs, hit a stone and landed on his head right on a drain. He was extremely lucky that he walked away with a concussion, it could have been a lot worse.
So, in short, you need to wear a helmet while skating to protect your head.
Your head is a very important part of your body and hitting it hard enough can dramatically change your life.
I would say that if you are thinking about getting a helmet, get one.
Just thinking about wearing a helmet means that you should be wearing one.
It will give you more confidence on your board and confidence is everything when it comes to learning how to skateboard.
The differences between adult skateboard helmets and children’s skateboard helmets
This is a question we’ve been asked several times, but there aren’t really many differences between adult and children’s helmets.
There may be more customisation options for adult helmets because adults will likely have their helmets for a lot longer than children as children will outgrow helmets, but apart from that, there aren’t many differences between them.
So, hopefully, that answered some of your questions about skateboard helmets, and it has persuaded you that you should wear one if you are a beginner (or even if you are experienced).
If it has, then we’re sure you’re wondering what the best skateboard helmets in the world are? Well, here they are, the best skateboard helmets in the world right now!
The best skateboard helmets in the world
Here are our selection of the best three skateboarding helmets available now.
JBM Skateboard Helmet
- Multi-Sporting Gear: These Skateboard Helmets are flexible and suitable for Multi-sports activities, include Inline & Roller Skating, Skating, Skateboarding and Scooter. These helmets would be the essential protective gear for any outdoor sports-lovers.
- Size Chart : Small: 18.1”- 19.7”, Medium: 19.7” - 22.8”, Large: 20.9” - 23.2”. These Skateboarding helmets come with an adjustable strap which make it flexible to fit you. The flexibility of the strap make it a unisex product and would fit both well for both men and women, boys and girls.
- Impact Resistance:These skating helmets are specially designed for Multi-sports Head protection. The material use is tough and durable PVC & PC, EPS foam which would help absorb the impact and protect the head during impact.
- Ventilation: Use of multiple vents, special aerodynamic design and breathable foam to reduce sweating and keep staying cool. It also reduces the high body temperature caused by intense body movements.
- Package included:1 x Helmet
This skateboard helmet from JBM is certified for impact resistance making it perfect for skateboarding.
It also comes in three different sizes, small, medium and large. The small may fit a child, it depends on the size of their head, and the large should fit an adult’s head.
You do get a bit of adjust-ability with each size thanks to the adjustable strap, but do measure your head first and find out which size is good for you.
This skateboard helmet also comes in a variety of different colours so you can look a cool as you like at the skate park.
It also has removable foam which makes cleaning the sweat out of the helmet easy. W
hat more is there to say about this helmet? It’s comfortable, can be colourful and will protect your head. That makes it a great helmet in our book!
- Certified impact resistant
- Removable, washable foam
- Nice choice of colours
- Although this helmet does have a few sizes to choose from, you may not be able to find a size that suits you.
Triple Eight Skateboard Helmet
- Classic skate helmet with ABS outer shell and stink-free, moisture-wicking Sweatsaver liner; designed for skateboarding and roller skating. Sweatsaver liner is easily-removable for cleaning; adjustable chin strap
- Sweatsaver pads fit very snug when they are brand new, and will break in for the optimal fit; expect to wear for a couple of hours before the helmet is completely broken in
- Available in five sizes: S fits 20.6–21.3 in (52–54 cm), M fits 21.4–22 in (54–56 cm), L fits 22.1–22.9 in (56–58 cm), XL fits 23–24 in (58–61 cm), XXL fits 24-25 in (60–62 cm)
- This product is NON-CERTIFIED and is NOT intended for use as a bicycle helmet. This product has NOT been tested under CPSC, ASTM, or CE safety standards.
This is a very popular skateboard helmet, and for good reason, it works great, and it is extremely comfortable. However, it doesn’t have the certifications that the other helmets on this list have. These certifications only mean that this helmet is fit for riding a bike, it doesn’t mean that it won’t protect you while you are riding your skateboard.
This helmet is designed for multiple impacts; this means that you don’t have to throw it away and buy a new one if you drop it or have a bad slam. This helmet also comes in five sizes rather than just three. From XS to XL, there’s a size for all size of head in the world.
The most comfortable design on the market thanks to the wrap-around foam inside
You’ll wear it all day thanks to the style and comfort
Five different sizes to choose from
Even though this helmet is one of the most popular skateboard helmets, it does lack a certification that says it’s impact resistant. This does only mean that it isn’t certified safe for use on bikes, but it would be nice to see this certification regardless.
Flybar Skateboard Helmet
- NEW FLYBAR HELMETSFlybar helmets are great for bicycling, BMX, roller and inline skating, aggressive/trick skateboarding, scooter, pogoing, and a number of other multi-sports activities
- STRONG ABS OUTER SHELL & EPS FOAM INNER LINING: Made of high-quality ABS shell, high-density EPS foam inner shell, the Flybar Helmet protects you from potentially harmful impact while engaging in sports
- 9 DIFFERENT COLORS AND DESIGNS: Whether you want a cool printed design or a simple solid matte color, every helmet offers the same trustworthy protection to keep both kids and adults safe during multi-sports activities. 12 wide stylish vents on each Flybar Helmet provide even air flow to keep cool during active sports sessions
- AVAILABLE IN 3 SIZES: S/M (53-55cm/20.8-21.6in); M/L (55-58cm/21.6-22.8in); L/XL (58-61cm/22.8-24in). For a perfect fit, measure the circumference of your head starting in the middle of your forehead to ensure you choose the correct size
- ADJUSTABLE FIT: The Flybar Helmets feature an adjustable spin dial on the back of the helmet to ensure a perfect and safe fit
This helmet from Flybar is dual certified. It holds certification from CPSC and ASTM. This means that it is certified safe for use on bikes, longboards, skateboards, scooters and rollerblades. It also comes in three different sizes. The small has an age bracket of 6-9, medium is 9-13 and large is 14 years and up. Of course, these may vary a little bit, not all 13-year-olds have the same size head!
You get some really cool colour options for these helmets. Our favourite is this clean looking cameo one, but there are 9 to choose from altogether. This is our top pick for a skateboard helmet because it is very comfortable so you’ll wear it all day and it is incredibly safe, so it’s perfect for beginners.
The best colours and style on the market
Loads of adjust-ability
Two impact resistant certifications
Once again, this skateboard helmet is only available in three sizes. While there is plenty of adjust-ability, some people may struggle to find a size that fits them perfectly.
We hope this look at skateboard helmets has been helpful and we hope that you are now considering wearing a helmet as you learn to skate. Skateboarding is the funniest thing in the world but it is dangerous, and you should be safe while you are learning. That way you get to skate forever!